Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Continental Divide from Nan's House


This is the first picture that I took of the beginning of a new painting. It is very large, will let you know the exact size tomorrow. I was so enthusiastic about this view that I saw from my friends house in Rollinsville, Colorado, that I could not wait to start painting it in the studio. I took several photos and then chose a large canvas, as the view is so overwhelming that it needed a large canvas. I laid it out in charcoal directly on the canvas. Usually I do some sketches first, but this time, I really knew what I wanted and went right for it.

In order to key various points on the canvas, as I kept getting lost, I marked them in various colors of pastel. You can see some of these still on the right side. Part of the problem of such a large canvas, with such a large view that you do get lost and forget where you are.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: