Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Another Session



I had a large block of time to work today before my foot gave out, or something else happened to interfer.


As most artists know, life gets in the way of painting most days, but today I did not let it.


I was able to get lost in a rose for one more time. I repainted the bud to develop more paint quality. From there I went to the inside of the large rose and worked on developing and refining the petals. Most of it was blending and seeing how this Atelier Interactive blended. One of the more interesting aspects of this paint is that you can spray it with a watercolor spray bottle and keep it workable for as long as you need it. It can also be reactivated within a short period of time if it should dry. I used only water for the spray.


This technique allows me to get the fine blending in the petals. I also worked on the shapes and edges within the center of the flower, both hard and soft edges as they turn over on themselves.


Tomorrow I hope to get to the middle flower and revise the outside edges and the shape. It has become too large in proportion to the large flower. Even though I have not painted on it since the beginning, as the large flower developed it changed the relationship of the two.


Also softened some of the edges of the leaves in the background as there were too hard and were detracting from the flowers. Softening edges allows the shapes to recede into the background and thereby emphasis the subject of the painting.


No comments: